Friday, July 23, 2010

1st Discussion Book - "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

Our first novel that we are going to read/discuss is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Some of you may have already read some of her books, she also wrote The Underland Chronicles. This book is set in the ruins of what was North America in the nation of Panem, a Capitol, surrounded by twelve districts. Each year, one girl and one boy from each district between the ages of 12 and 18 are forced to participate in the Hunger Games. This is a brutal fight to the death that is televised for all of Panem to see.


Katniss Everdeen steps in to take her sisters place in the games. She has been feeding her mother and sister by secretly hunting and gathering outside the fences of District 12 for years. Now she must use these skills to survive the Hunger Games.

Reality television is a big part of entertainment on television today(with shows like Survivor, The Amazing Race, and Big Brother). Think about these survival shows when you are reading this book. What other aspects of todays popular culture do you see? Tell me what you like and what you don't.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't like it when Rue got shot.Because she was nice and i was sad when she was shot. I really liked it when Katniss finds Peeta on the river side all camoflauged and she starts taking care of him. I think that when they did that i thought she would like Peeta more than Gale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't anything that wasn't marvelous about this book. Suzanne Collins was able to make this book horrendous, but at the same time amazing and beautiful. Some of the explanations of the characters,what they wore and their surroundings were so bizarre, but yet she made them seem so normal. It is an amazing discussion topic, you can almost hear people asking their friends,"what would you do if?".I felt the same about her second book, Catching Fire and I can't wait to read the final book when it comes out in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the way Collins used words to paint such vivid pictures in my mind as I read. Now I am worried that when the movie comes out my mental ideas will be shattered much like they were when the Twilight movies came out. Both books do remind me of the reality shows focused on survival. I love the idea of Katniss in the fire costume.

    ReplyDelete